In accordance with Article 9(1) of Regulation (EU) No 1227/2011 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 25 October 2011 on wholesale energy market integrity and transparency (REMIT), market participants entering into transactions in the wholesale energy market which are required to be reported to the Agency for the Cooperation of Energy Regulators (ACER) in accordance with Article 8(1) of REMIT shall register with the relevant national regulatory authority (in Latvia – the Public Utilities Commission).
Market participants shall register in the Member State in which they are established or resident or, if they are not established or resident in the European Union, in a Member State in which they are active. A market participant shall register only with one national regulatory authority. Member States shall not require a market participant already registered in another Member State to register again.
From 17 March 2015, all natural gas market participants entering into transactions in the wholesale energy market in the European Union (EU), must register in the Centralized European Register for Energy Market Participants (CEREMP) established by ACER. It is a new procedure for registration of natural gas market participants and supervision of the wholesale energy market in the EU; the new procedure entered into force to successfully implement the REMIT Regulation.
In accordance with REMIT, market participant means any natural or legal person, including transmission system operators, who enters into transactions, including the placing of orders to trade, in one or more wholesale energy markets and who according to REMIT has an obligation to submit ACER the information on transactions in the wholesale energy market.
Application for CEREMP registration
Market participants shall submit an application for registration in the CEREMP register before they arrange a transaction to be reported to ACER in accordance with REMIT. The following information shall be provided in the application:
- information related to the market participant;
- information about natural persons related to the market participant;
- data indicating the beneficiary;
- data on the corporate structure of the market participant and delegated parties which report on the behalf of the market participant.
Henceforth, the registered market participants must submit information on any changes that have taken place regarding the information provided in the registration application; the information must also be updated regularly.
A market participant which has registered in the CEREMP register has an obligation:
- as of 7 October 2015, to start reporting on standard contracts (‘standard contract’ means a contract concerning a wholesale energy product admitted to trading at an organised market place, irrespective of whether or not the transaction actually takes place on that market place (Article 2(2) of the Implementing Regulation)).
- as of 7 April 2016, to start reporting on non-standard contracts (‘non-standard contract’ means a contract concerning any wholesale energy product that is not a standard contract (Article 2(3) of the Implementing Regulation)).
To register in the CEREMP register, please click on the following link: REGISTRATION IN THE CEREMP REGISTER.